Monday, January 12, 2009

Home recovery #4

Well it is official. Life has moved on. Jared has gone back to work, and I was in charge today. It was okay. I am tired and sore, and did most of my directing from a sitting position and from my bed. But everyone got to where they needed to be. My sweet friend took the kids to and from school. Madi's carpool got her for school and Luke and I took a nap. Madi is the "Superstar" of the week this week and we made a poster before my surgery, so that was not stressful. She has had it in her room since. Drew was nominated to be the Student of the Week at Freedom Elementary as well. He got a certificate, a Dominos pizza, a key chain and a sucker. Adam was probably more excited than Drew. I heard it from Adam first.

I still am not supposed to drive so my mom took Drew to the Orthodontist, and Jared had to rescue my mom from the orthodontist due to a dead battery. She left the lights on waiting for Drew. I was able to start dinner and Jared finished it up. We had leftover steaks, we turned into fajitas, which works great and rice. We had a short family night, on what to do in an emergency, and now we are putting kids, and me to bed. You take for granted how much you can do in a day, until you can't do so much.

Our power went out last night for about an hour and fifteen minutes. We were in the middle of eating dinner so it was not traumatic except that it was very dark, and we had to get out the candles. We stayed calm, except for Madi who kept asking, when the lights would go back on. We got her a flashlight of her own, and she calmed down quite a bit. We cleaned up dinner, and read by candlelight. We learned we are not as prepared with batteries as we should be, but didn't fare to bad. We have lots of scented candles, that don't get used now that Scentsy has taken over. Luke loved the headlamp Jared put on him, and wore it until bedtime an hour after the lights went on.

I am doing okay. I move slowly and try not to cough, laugh or sneeze without holding a pillow. Did you know that you use your tummy muscles to blow your nose? I learned that in the hospital. I am still trying to walk and am hoping to move outside to walk around the block soon. I tried to drive this evening to pick up Drew at a friends. It was actually more painful than I thought it would be. Maybe I will wait a few more days before I try that again. I don't have to take anyone anywhere soon, so that is a bonus. It is nice to be home though. I don't have a lot expected of me, and to tell you the truth it is a nice break. I am sure you can all relate. I am recovering slowly but surely. Jared is having some back pain, and taking a break from being mom today. He has been such a trooper. I can tell you my house is cleaner now than before I had surgery. I am so grateful to his mother for teaching him how to clean. He got the kids involved this weekend and is passing on his knowledge. I am so glad. I have taught them things, but sometimes it is good to hear it from someone other than mom. Madi is our best cleaner so far, and we just assume it is a girl thing. She also complains least about it. For now anyway.

Well, that is all for now. I am off to bed and the land of Lortab. It is nice to have drugs that can help you get the rest you need, as painlessly as possible. I don't know what I would do without them, for now anyway. Modern medicine is a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tracie, Isn't the human body a miraculous creation? It is amazing how the body can heal itself, slowly but surely. I am grateful to hear that each day shows progression closer to your full recovery. No doubt it is due to your phenomenal strengths: physical, mental, and spiritual. You rock!! (Jared--you rock too! Thanks for taking such good care of things so that Tracie has been able to continue healing so well.) Hang in there.

    Sincerely,
    JaNae

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep trying to comment and it isn't liking me! Anyway, I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. Good luck trying to relax a little. Matt and I will be at the baptism so we will see you soon.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete