Sunday, October 17, 2010

Drew gets his Life Merit Badge & Banana Cake

Sometimes your kids do something that amazes you. Occasionally they are recognized for it publicly and sometimes you are the only one that sees it. Today it was something public. I am grateful for these little glimpses of who they have the potential to be.

The Boy Scouts of America program has been around for 100 years this year. I have always had in my life, since my father and grandfather were big into scouting. I remember my dad as a Scoutmaster when I was probably 7 or 8. He was signing merit badge cards and approval for Eagle projects. He took is job very seriously. I have realized now as mother to a scout and a wife to a scout leader that it is a serious job. It is a program that produces responsible young men. I am grateful for it.

Today was the Court of Honor for troop 1120. There were 10 scouts at the court. 6 of those had rank advancements. Drew received his Life Merit Badge and rank advancement. He pinned the heart pin on my sweater. I almost cried. I got a little misty eyed. I told him I was proud of him and gave him a hug. He was a little embarassed but ok. I was just so pleased with him. He doesn't get it but someday he will. Jared is always telling me we are raising adults and not children. I know he is right and I try to keep that in mind when I am talking to my children.

Someday they will be adults, with families, jobs, and lives of their own. It is my job to train them for what they will need. It is an awesome responsibility that can get overwhelming. I just pray daily that I do the right things to help get them where they need to be. That is why we do the things we do everyday. I just hope it is enough.

I had 9 points today. I made banana cake and had to have some. It was so yummy. Here is the recipe, I got it from a neighbor several years ago:

Banana Cake

Cream:
1/2 + 1 T shortening
1 1/2 C sugar

Then add: 2 eggs, set aside

Sift: 2 C. Flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Combine: 1 1/4 C mashed ripe banana
1/2 C Skim Milk soured by 1/2 tsp vinegar
2 tsp Mexican vanilla

Alternate adding the flour mixture and banana mixture until all ingredients are combined. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan or muffin tins. I double the recipe and place in 11 x 16 (I think) jellyroll pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes in the jellyroll or 30 minutes in the 9 x 13. Directly after removing from the oven, rub the top with butter or margerine and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
It can be served with homeade cream cheese frosting, but is just as good without.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Yummmm.That Mexican vanilla makes this the best ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Drew on your Life Scout rank. Now you can get your Eagle before you turn sixteen, Right? Love, Grandma Mattie

    ReplyDelete