Friday, October 29, 2010

Friday, October 29, 2010




Date Night tonight. We try to make sure we get away once a week. The activities vary, but they usually involve food and time undisturbed for talking and enjoying each other's company. We went to dinner at Rumbi. It is a Hawaiian type grill. The flavors include mango, pineapple and rice or salads. They do have sandwiches with regular or sweet potato fries. I had a yummy salad of course with mango salsa, Jared had the Luau pork rice bowl. We were able to get out a little after six so we made it to an early movie. We saw "Secretariat". It was a good movie about the underdog horse and a remarkable woman that could see his potential. The woman, Penny Tweety, was a mother and housewife when her father died. She took over the horse farm and brought "Big Red" to the fulfill his ultimate potential as a triple crown winner. I could see her struggles as a wife and mother and trying to balance everything that that entails.

As a working mom, I feel her pain and teared up just as she did when she missed something memorable in one of her children's lives. How often do we as mothers do that to ourselves? We really are doing the best we can everyday, yet we do not feel as if we measure up. I know I am doing the very best that I know how. I had a good example of that in my own mother. She raised 8 children, pretty much by her self. We all turned out to be responsible adults that strive to live the gospel in all they do. Thanks Mom. You gave me a great example to follow and I will try to pass that on to my own children.

We had a pretty good day today. Drew wore his Halloween costume to school today. He was "Earth Wind" a love child from the 60's. He wore his guitar case on his back stuffed with a pillow and blanket so that it would keep shape. He had a tie dye shirt on, and one of Jared's lace up collared shirts from trek. He rolled up his Levi's, and had on his high tops. He topped it off with a Jedi cloak I made him when he was three, and a strip of fabric, that is usually the belt for the cloak around his head. He was a sight. It was awesome. He and Luke helped me pick the pumpkins in the garden. Luke was thrilled. He has been growing these from seedlings. He has watered them and tended them. The orange one next to him is his "Punkin"

Adam and Madi wore their costumes as well. Adam wore his lacrosse gear, and Madi her sparkly rock star garb. They had a parade at school that Lukey and I attended. I haven't been able to go for a few years so I was thrilled to be able to go this time. I enjoyed talking with my friend Deb for a while. I haven't had the opportunity to be social, just to be social for a long time and I glad I took the time.

I made sugar cookies today. Luke and I rolled most of them out and decorated a few. He was determined to take some to his friends N and J. He was quite specific about the color of frosting and the treats to go on top. We colored white frosting blue and green. We made a blue ghost and a green "punkin". We covered them with candy corns and chocolate chips. They were very sweet after all the extras. The kids loved them and he was very proud of his creations.

I scored 9 points today. I indulged in a few cookies. They were very sweet after no sweets for so long. I liked them better without the frosting. I ran this morning. It was a good run about 3 1/2 miles. Luke and I took cookies to some neighbors. We read scriptures this morning as a family. We read in 1 Nephi 15:34. No unclean thing can enter the kingdom of God. We had a good discussion about what it means to stay clean and then to become clean again if we have made mistakes. With Madi's baptism coming up it was a good opportunity to talk about that. It amazes me how much they understand. I am grateful.

Off to bed so I can get up to do a day of yard work and then trick or treating. It will be a fun day!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Tracie for the compliment. My heart was touched and my eyes teared up too. But, I didn't do it all alone, I had the Lord's help every step of the way. And he didn't let me down.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete